Harrogate

Prior to the discovery of its naturally iron and sulphur rich water, Harrogate was two minor villages (High Harrogate and Low Harrogate) close to the historic town of Knaresborough. The first mineral spring in Harrogate was discovered in 1571 by William Slingsby, who found that water from the Tewit Well possessed similar properties to that from the springs of the Belgian town of Spa, which gave its name to spa towns. The medicinal properties of the waters were more widely publicised by one Edmund Deane, whose book, Spadacrene Anglica, or the English Spa Fountain was published in 1626. Following this Harrogate developed considerable fame as a spa town.

Today the site of the Tewitt Well is marked by a dome within the Stray, an area of open parkland some 200 acres (800,000 m²) in size that runs through the centre of the town. The Harrogate Stray was created in 1778 by an act of Parliament. The act fixed the size of the Stray at 200 acres (0.8 km²), and even now when part of it is removed, due to road expansion etc, it must be replaced elsewhere. During the Victorian period, part of the Stray hosted a racecourse (horses). Other wells can be found in Harrogate's Valley Gardens and the Royal Pump Room museum.

Winner of the beautiful Britain in bloom competition, Harrogate is now a lovely place to visit with it`s many shop`s and antique galleries, cafe`s and restaurant`s, including the world famous Betty`s Tea Room`s, Museums and Art Galleries, and superb Victorian Turkish Baths.

Within easy reach by car, Bus or train are the Beautiful Yorkshire Dales and Moors, the historic cities of Ripon, York, Leeds and Bradford , and many National Trust properties and Stately Homes.

You will be charmed by Harrogate, Glenayr and Elizabeth Gourlay, and along with earlier guests now friends your certain to return.

Home

Elizabeth Gourlay . Tel: 01423 504259 / Fax: 01423 504259  /  Glenayr.   19 Franklin mount, Harrogate, North Yorkshire. HG1 5EJ.    

Web design by        Lawrie Spink 

 
free web hit
counter